2nd Regiment, Alabama Reserve (63rd Regiment Infantry)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
2nd Reserve Regiment [also called 63rd Regiment] was organized in July, 1864, at Montgomery, Alabama. Many of the enlisted men were between the ages of sixteen and eighteen and were from the southernmost counties of the state. With less than 100 men, it surrendered with the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Alabama in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Alabama in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Alabama, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Green, Arthur E. Too little too late : compiled military service records of the 63rd Alabama Infantry CSA with rosters of some companies of the 89th, 94th, and 95th Alabama Militia CSA. (Bowie, Maryland : Heritage Books, c2001, FHL book 976.1 M2ge
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).