35th Regiment, Alabama Infantry
35th Infantry Regiment was formed at La Grange, Alabama, in April, 1862, with men from Lauderdale, Franklin, Limestone, Madison, and Lawrence counties. Only 55 officers and men surrendered in April, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Companies by County:
- Company A - many men from Lauderdale County
- Company B - many men from Franklin County
- Company C - many men from Lawrence County
- Company D - many men from Limestone County
- Company E - many men from Madison County
- Company F - many men from Madison County
- Company G - many men from Limestone County
- Company H - many men from Lawrence County
- Company I - many men from Lauderdale County
- Company K - many men from Franklin County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Alabama in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Alabama in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Alabama, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Banning, Leroy F. (Leroy Francis). Regimental history of the 35th Alabama Infantry, 1862-1865 (Bowie, Maryland : Heritage Books, c1999), FHL book 976.1 M2bL
- Goodloe, Albert Theodore. Some Rebel relics from the seat of war (35th Alabama Infantry Regiment). (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082304 and Confederate echoes : a voice from the South in the days of secession and of the Southern Confederacy. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082303
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Leroy F. Banning, Regimental History of the 35th Alabama Infantry, 1862-1865(Bowie,Maryland:Heritage Books,1999) page 72