Artigas, Uruguay Genealogy
Guide to Artigas Department ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, church records, parish registers, and civil registration.
|Uruguay Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- The department of Artigas was created on October 1, 1884.
- The Artigas department has a population of approximately 73,000 people. 
The map below is of municipality boundaries as of 2009. (As of a law in 2009, the Uruguayan departments have been subdivided into municipalities.) Researching at municipal level before that time may not be relevant to your research.
- Registros civiles, 1885-2001 - Click on the link to see the records’ availability.
- Indice nacional alfabético de los libros de nacimientos, matrimonios y defunciones, 1900-1937 - index and browsable images
- Inventario de los libros de nacimientos, matrimonios y defunciones, 1879-1929 - browsable images
- 1870-1930 - Uruguay, Select Civil Registration Records, 1870-1930 - in Ancestry ($) — index and images
- Uruguay, Civil Registration - in MyHeritage ($)
- Transcripción de registros parroquiales, ca. 1791-1880 - browse images, partial coverage; use the image indexes (indices) to see the volume number (tomo), page number (foja), and act (acta) that will be needed to navigate the rest of the digitized microfilm.
- There are no online records for the Artigas department.
- Cementerio Central de Artigas
- Wikipedia Collaborators, "Departamento de Artigas," in Wikipedia: The free encyclopedia, https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departamento_de_Artigas. Visited September 2, 2018.