Austria, Upper Austria, Wels, Census Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Austria, Upper Austria, Wels, Census Records, 1613-1900
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of Austria|
|Location of Austria in Europe|
- 1 Title in the Language of the Record
- 2 What is in This Collection?
- 3 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 4 Collection Content
- 5 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 6 What Do I Do Next?
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
Title in the Language of the Record[edit | edit source]
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Wels, Volkszählungen, Verlassenschaften und Zunftbücher, 1613-1900
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of several record sets from Wels, Upper Austria. It will include census records, guild records, and probate records for the city of Wels. The census records give the name of the homeowner, head of household, wife, children, ages, and occupations. The guild records are limited to the toolmakers and carpenters. The original records are located in the Wels City Archives, Austria.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
For help reading these German records see the following guides:
- Germany Languages
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Upper Austria, Wels, Census Records, 1613-1900.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of the homeowner
- Name of head of household
- Names of family members
- Place of birth (sometimes)
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
To begin your search it is helpful to know the name and some other identifying information such as age and occupation.
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Quellengattung, Zeitraum, und Bandnummer to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Austria, Upper Austria, Wels, Census Records, 1613-1900. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Carefully evaluate each piece of information given
- Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details
- Add this new information to your records of each family
- Look for leads to other records about your ancestors
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Consult the Austria Record Finder to find other records
- Look for variant spellings of the surnames
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life (for example: they may have gone by their middle name)
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date
- Search the records of nearby counties places
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Österreich, Oberösterreich, Wels, Volkszählungen, Verlassenschaften und Zunftbücher 1613-1900." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Stadtarchiv Wels (Wels City Archives).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.