Barnes County, North Dakota Genealogy
Guide to Barnes County, North Dakota ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
Barnes County in honor of Judge Alanson H. Barnes (1818-1890) who was an associate justice of the Territorial Court. It is located in the southeast area of the state.
Barnes County Courthouse
230 4th S NE
Valley City, ND 58072
Barnes County Website
Clerk District Court has birth, death, burial and court records;
County Judge has marriage and probate records
Barnes County, North Dakota Record DatesEdit
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
Full compliance by 1924.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
- Barnes County Biographies on North Dakota Genealogy Trails website - alphabetical list of early settlers and prominent individuals from county histories
- Index of Surnames, Barnes County History, Barnes County Historical Society Inc., Dallas, Texas: Taylor Publishing Company (1976).
- North Dakota State University Biography Archieves -Index only; gives references to publications containing information on North Dakotans, living and deceased
Business, Commerce, and OccupationsEdit
- Census Data USGenWeb project - Barnes County.
- Census Records USGenWeb Archives - Barnes County.
- 1880 Mortality Schedule, Barnes County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
Before North Dakota was a state in 1889, parts of North Dakota were included in the 1836 Iowa Territory census (also known as Wisconsin Territory), 1840 Iowa Territory census, 1850 Minnesota Territory census, and the 1860-1880 Dakota Territory censuses. See links listed below.
Territory and State Census RecordsEdit
- 1836 - 1836 Wisconsin Territory Census – index only; North Dakota was included in the 1836 Wisconsin Territory Census
- 1840 - United States Census, 1840 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; North Dakota was included in the 1840 Iowa Territory Census
- 1850 - United States Census, 1850 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; North Dakota was included in the 1850 Minnesota Territory Census
- 1860 - United States Census, 1860 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; North Dakota was included in the 1860 Dakota Territory Census
- 1870 - United States Census, 1870 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; North Dakota was included in the 1870 Dakota Territory Census
- 1880 - United States Census, 1880 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; North Dakota was included in the 1880 Dakota Territory Census
- 1885 Dakota Territory 1885 Census Index at NDSU Archives – index only
- 1885, 1915, 1925 North Dakota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1885, 1915, 1925 at Ancestry.com – ($), index and images
- 1915 North Dakota Census, 1915 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
- 1925 North Dakota Census, 1925 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
Federal Census RecordsEdit
Federal Censuses were taken for the state of North Dakota starting in 1890, although no records survived. The 1900 Census is the next Federal Census available. For links to Federal census indexes, see North Dakota Census.
Church records can be found online, kept onsite at the church, or housed in a church archive or library. See North Dakota Church Records for more information on how to locate the records.
Online Church Records
Dutch Reformed Church
- 1917-1964 - U.S., Selected States Dutch Reformed Church Membership Records, 1701-1995 at Ancestry — ($); Index and images; Dover Reformed Church in Wimbledon, Membership Records and Accounts, dates mixed, not in chronological order
- 1875-1940 - U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Records, 1875-1940 at Ancestry — ($); Index and images; Dates vary for each county
- Records of Lutheran Church, Skandia in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of Spring Creek Lutheran Church, Hasting, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Valley City, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- 1822 - 1995 U.S. City Directories 1822-1995 at Ancestry ($) - collection for the City of Valley City
Emigration and ImmigrationEdit
- 1800-1953 - North Dakota, Red River Valley Genealogical Society, Pioneer Files, 1880-1953 at FamilySearch — index
Ethnic, Political, and Religious GroupsEdit
Land and Property RecordsEdit
When the United States acquired North Dakota, most of the land became available for homesteading or purchase from the federal government. After land was transferred from the government to private owners, the registrar of deeds in each county recorded the land transactions in the form of deeds and mortgages. For more information, see North Dakota Land and Property.
Online Land Records
- Index to BLM Records, Barnes County, ND, USGenWeb Archives
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796-1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1863-1908 - U.S. Homestead Records 1863-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
For more information see North Dakota Land and Property
Local histories, including those of the county, are available for Barnes County. These histories can include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information.
- Barnes County history : Barnes County, North Dakota. 1976. Barnes County Historical Society; Valley City, North Dakota. ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
Maps and GazetteersEdit
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of North Dakota - shows boundary changes for North Dakota Counties
- North Dakota Maps at NDGenWeb -historical maps
- Family Maps of Barnes County, North Dakota Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1861-1865 - Dakota Territory Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.
- Barnes County Pensioners on the Rolls as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1890 - United States Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, 1890 at FamilySearch.
World War I
- 1917-1918 - North Dakota Military Men 1917-1918 at Ancestry ($)
- 1917-1918 - Roster of the men and women who served in the army or naval service (including the Marine Corps) of the United States or its allies from the state of North Dakota in the World War, 1917-1918, Vols. 1-4 at Ancestry ($)
- World War I Casualties, Barnes County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
World War II
- World War II Army Enlistees - Barnes County, USGenWeb Archives
- World War II Army Casualties, Barnes County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- World War II Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Casualties, Barnes County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- 1950-1957 - Korean War Casualties, Barnes County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- 1957-1995 - Vietnam War Casualties, Barnes County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
For further information see North Dakota Military Records.
Naturalization and CitizenshipEdit
Online Naturalization Indexes and Records
- 1868-1924 - North Dakota, Naturalization Records, 1868-1924 at FamilySearch — index and images
- North Dakota Naturalization Records Index at NDSU Archives – index only, covers various dates and counties
For more information, see North Dakota Newspapers.
North Dakota Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of North Dakota newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of North Dakota newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some North Dakota newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
North Dakota Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
- State Historical Society of North Dakota - contains inventory and catalog of all known ND newspapers
- Barnes County Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
Probate records, including wills and estates, are at the county clerk's office. See also North Dakota Probate Records.
Online Probate Records
- 1800-1985 - North Dakota and South Dakota Wills and Probate Records 1800-1985 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
County tax records are at the county treasurer's, auditor's or clerk's office in the county courthouse. Some tax records may have been moved to the North Dakota State Archives.
Birth, marriage, death, and divorce records may be recorded on registers, certificates, or other documents at the county clerk's office. Many records are also being digitized and put online. See North Dakota Vital Records for more information about availability and how to access them.
- 1872-1958 - North Dakota, County Marriages, 1872-1958 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1880-1890 - Some marriage records from Barnes Co., North Dakota, 1880-1890 at FamilySearch
- Barnes County Marriage Announcements (Genealogy Trails)
Online Death Indexes and Records
North Dakota State University Archives
West Building 3551 7th Avenue
N Fargo, ND 58102
Libraries NDSU Dept #2080
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Family History CentersEdit
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
- Barnes County, USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- USGenWeb Archives - Barnes County
- FamilySearch Catalog The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records.
- Barnes County, North Dakota Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- North Dakota Genealogy Trails - Barnes County
- Barnes County Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- , Wikipedia
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Barnes County, North Dakota. Page 522 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 517.
- Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Rev. ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 1992), 562; Alice M. Hetzel, U.S. Vital Statistics System: Major Activities and Developments, 1950-95 (Hyattsville, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, ), 58.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Barnes County, North Dakota," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia.
- Alice Eichholz, ‘’Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources,’’ 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 2004), 511. Free online version; FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004; WorldCat entry.
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society.