Brazil, Minas Gerais, Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Brazil, Minas Gerais, Catholic Church Records, 1706-1999
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Minas Gerais, Brazil|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Flag of Minas Gerais|
|Location of Minas Gerais, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, Minas Gerais, Registros da Igreja Católica|
|Diocese of Luz|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues With This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes baptism, marriage, and burial records created by various Catholic parishes and diocese in the state of Minas Gerais from 1706 to 1999. The Catholic Diocese of Luz created in 1960 is found in the state of Minas Gerais. Prior to 1960 Minas Gerais belonged to the Diocese of Aterrado.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
For help reading these Portuguese records see the following:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Brazil, Minas Gerais, Catholic Church Records, 1706-1999.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For additional details about these records and help using them, see the wiki article, Brazil Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
The information found in each record varies by year.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before using this collection it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Municipality
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Brazil, Minas Gerais, Catholic Church Records, 1706-1999. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- The birth and/or age may also help you find the family in the Brazil Census
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- A boundary change could have occurred, and the record of you ancestor's records could now be in a neighboring city, provinces or region
- Your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Brazil Emigration and Immigration
- Brazil Civil Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records may also be an option for finding birth, marriage, and death records
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Brazil.
Known Issues With This Collection[edit | edit source]
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.