Brazil, Piauí, Civil Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Brazil, Piauí, Civil Registration, 1875-2014
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Flag of Piauí|
|Location of Piauí, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, Pernambuco, Registro Civil|
|Piauí State Archives, Teresina|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues
- 7 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes digital images of civil registrations of birth, marriage, and death from civil registry offices (cartórios) in the Piauí State, Brazil from 1875-2014.
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Brazil, Piauí, Civil Registration, 1875-2014.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
For details about the history of these records and help using them see the wiki article: Brazil Civil Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
Search the IndexSearch by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Municipality
- Select Civil Registration Office
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Brazil, Piauí, Civil Registration, 1875-2013. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- The birth and/or age may also help you find the family in the Brazil Census
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Brazil Emigration and Immigration may be useful if your ancestors immigrated to or from another country
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Brazil.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.