Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Civil Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records/Known Issues
| This article lists issues previously reported for this collection and
may provide solutions or workarounds to those issues.
Note[edit | edit source]
NOTE: For a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection or how to find missing images elsewhere, see Article 56000, Using Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final waypoint in Historical Records.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Question 1[edit | edit source]
Question 1: Some records are missing. Where can they be viewed?
Answer 1: Most missing records are available on microfilm. See answers below for information about known missing records and their respective film numbers, if available.
Rio de Janeiro NOTE: For a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection or how to find missing images elsewhere, see Article 56000, Using Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final waypoint in Historical Records.
Rio de Janeiro > 02ª Circunscrição > Índice de Óbitos 1919 Ago-1921 Out V. 30 does not include the two pages for “T” and “U” between image 26 (the “S” names) and Image 27 (the “V” names). It would appear these pages were not filmed. The images are not included on the Film 1286880.
Rio de Janeiro > 05ª Circunscrição is missing all the Óbitos (only the idexes are available)
and > 06ª Circunscrição is missing some Óbitos. If you use the appropriate short cut keys to REFRESH your screen (Ctrl+R), the Óbitos are available for viewing.
Rio de Janeiro > 06ª Circunscrição > Índice de Nascimentos 1891-1897 is missing pages 107-200+, which include names starting with letters I (1896) – Z. It would appear these pages were not filmed. The images are not included on the Film 1286386.
Rio de Janeiro > 11ª Circunscrição > Óbitos 1947, Fev-Jun is currently not available online. This project is still in production and the missing records should be online in the future.
Question 2[edit | edit source]
Question 2: The Event Type and Year Range (waypoint) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. Is there a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer 2: The following list of known waypoint discrepancies describes the event type or year range that actually exist in this collection:
Piraí > Piraí, Município de >
- Índice de Matrimônios 1889 Jan-1892 Jun V. 1,
- Índice de Matrimônios 1892 Jun-1897 Jun V. 2,
- Índice de Matrimônios 1911 Out-1920 Mar V. 5, and
- Índice de Matrimônios 1920 Abr-1934 Out V. 6 are all Índice de Óbitos with the same year span.
- Matrimônios 1892 Jun-1897 Jun V. 2,
- Matrimônios 1897 Jul-1905 Fev V. 3,
- Matrimônios 1905 Fev-1911 Out V. 4,
- Matrimônios 1911 Out-1920 Mar V. 5, and
- Matrimônios 1920 Abr-1934 Out V. 6 are all Óbitos with the same year span.
- Matrimônios 1893 Out-1903 Jan V. 2,
- Matrimônios 1903 Jan-1912 Set V. 3,
- Matrimônios 1912 Out-1923 Jul V. 4, and
- Matrimônios 1923 Jul-1925 Dez V. 5 are all Nascimentos with the same year span.
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro > 11ª Circunscrição > Óbitos 1955, Mar-Jul contains 1910 images, and consists of the following Óbitos image sets:
- Images 1-635; Starts 4 Mar 1955 and ends 16 Jul 1955
- Images 636-1275 starts 13 Mar 1955 and ends 9 Jul 1955
- Images 1276-1910 starts 14 Mar 1956 and ends 6 Jul 1956
Rio de Janeiro > 03ª Circunscrição > Índice de Nascimentos 1912-1933 contains Índice de Matrimonios 1912-1933
Rio de Janeiro > 11ª Circunscrição > Óbitos 1953 Maio-Set contains 1273 images, and consists of the following Óbitos image sets:
- Images 1-638, Starts 29 maio 1953 and ends 26 set 1953
- Images 639-1273, Starts 15 Maio 1957 and ends also in Set 1957
Question 3[edit | edit source]
Question 3: In the final waypoint São Pedro da Aldeia > São Pedro da Aldeia > Óbitos 1943, Nov-1947, Jul, the front and back pages are not together (in sequence) to form a coherent record. How can I match up the front and back pages?
Answer 3: Unfortunately, the camera operator digitized fronts of pages, then backs of pages, but created separate image files, instead of combining the pages together into a single image file.
In order to match the front and back pages, you would have to look at one image, and then the other; for example, the front page is Image 1 and the back page is Image 300. Then you have to move down the film for both pages; for example, Image 2 and Image 301.
Question 4[edit | edit source]
Question 4: On some indexed marriage records, the spouse name appears in the search results, but on the record details, the spouse name is listed as NULL. How can I recapture the spouse name?
Answer 4: When the Spouse, Spouse's Father, and Spouse's Mother names appear as NULL, you can click on the Father or Mother names to get the Spouse name to appear in the title. You can also go back one screen and review the search result. Another option is to View the image.
Question 5[edit | edit source]
Question 5: When I click on some of the final waypoints for Rio de Janeiro > 11ª Circunscrição > Óbitos …, the path displays as Rio de Janeiro > Cascadura > Óbitos… . How can I tell what records I am really viewing?
Answer 5': The following list of final waypoints are considered to be “wandering breadcrumbs”; that is,some final waypoints flip back and forth between Rio de Janeiro > 11ª Circunscrição and Rio de Janeiro > Cascadura:
- Óbitos 1953, Jul-Nov,
- Óbitos 1953 Nov-1954 Mar,
- Óbitos 1954 Mar-Jul,
- Óbitos 1954, Out-1955, Mar,
- Óbitos 1955, Mar-Jul
- Óbitos 1955, Jul-Nov,
- Óbitos 1956, Jun-Out
Until the problem is resolved, you will have to read each image to determine the proper location.
Question 6[edit | edit source]
Question 6: The waypoints in the path Niterói > Icaraí all have images that seem to be missing or out of order. How can I browse these records?
Answer 6: A few waypoints have pages that are organized sequentially – as you would hope and expect. The majority of waypoints for birth, marriage and death records are organized as follows:
- Some waypoints have pages that are disorganized but in a way that the pages are in close proximity, within 2 or 3 pages of the next correct sequence page;
- Some waypoints are organized with the numbered pages grouped in the first half of the waypoint, followed by the backside of the numbered pages grouped in the second half of the waypoint; and
- Some waypoints contain the backside of the numbered pages only; the matching numbered pages are in a waypoint of the same type and date or very close date range.
The workaround to viewing these records is to open two (2) windows, the first with the backside of the numbered pages (left side) and the second window with the numbered pages (right hand). This way you can achieve continuity in your record search by switching between windows to view the pages sequentially.
- Example 1: DISORGANIZED, BUT IN CLOSE PROXIMITY:
- Nascimentos 1897, Set-1900 – 401 images:
- Image 1 Page 1, records 1 and 2
- Image 2 Title Page
- Image 3 Page 2, records 5 and 6
- Image 4 back side of Page 1, record 3 and 4
- Image 5 Page 3, records 8 and 9
- Image 6 back side of Page 2, record 7
- Image 1 Page 1, records 1 and 2
- Matrimônios 1903, Jul-1906, Nov has a similar disordered condition.
- Example 2: BOTH HALVES INCLUDED:
Óbitos 1940, Mar-1941, Maio > Image 1 of 601: Page 1 (records 11879 and 11880)
Óbitos 1940, Mar-1941, Maio > Image 300 of 601: back side of page 1 (record 11881)
- Example 3: TWO SEPARATE BROWSE POINTS:
Óbitos 1912, Set-1914, Mar > Image 2 of 362: Page 1 (records 1 and 2)
Óbitos 1912, Set-1914, Fev > Image 2 of 402: back side of page 1 (record 3)
- Go to the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Civil Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records article
- Go to the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Civil Registration, 1829-2012 collection at FamilySearch.org