California, Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at San Francisco from Insular Possessions - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
California, Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at San Francisco from Insular Possessions, 1907-1911
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|San Francisco, California, |
|Flag of the United States of America|
|Flag of the United States 1896-1908|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Type||Passenger lists|
|Record Group||RG 85: Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service|
|Microfilm Publication||M1438. Passenger lists of vessels arriving at San Francisco from insular possessions, 1907-1911. 2 rolls.|
|National Archives Identifier||4481636|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
What is in This Collection?
This is a collection of ship passenger lists are in the years 1907-1911. Passenger lists provide the full name, age, sex, marital status, occupation, citizenship (nationality), last place of residence, final destination, and, if an immigrant was going to join a relative, that person's name, address, and relationship to the passenger.
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Time entering insular possessions and where
- Final destination
How Do I Search This Collection?
Search the IndexSearch by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the record to learn the place of origin and find vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage
- Use the information found in the record to find land and probate records
- Use the record to locate the family in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
- Look for the Declaration of Intent soon after the immigrant arrived. Then look for the naturalization petition five years later, when the residency requirement would have been met. Look for naturalization records in federal courts, then in state, county, or city courts. An individual may have filed the first and final papers in different courts and sometimes in a different state if the person moved. Immigrants who were younger than 18 when they arrived did not need to file a Declaration of Intent as part of the process
- Check other possible ports of entry
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of California.
- Beginning Research in United States Naturalization Records
- United States Emigration and Immigration
- California Guided Research
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1905 | 1905-Present
Related Family History Library Holdings
Related FamilySearch historical Record Collections
- California, San Francisco Chinese passenger lists, 1882-1947
- California, San Francisco Passenger Lists, 1893-1953
- California, index to San Francisco passenger lists, 1893-1934
- California, customs passenger lists of vessels arriving at San Francisco, 1903-1918
- California, San Francisco Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving, 1954-1957
Related Digital Books
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.