Colwick, Nottinghamshire Genealogy
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Colwick is an Ancient parish.
The former church of St John the Baptist was adjacent to Colwick Hall and has been in ruins from 1937 and is now classed as a listed building at risk.
A modern church consecrated in 1951 serves the parish.
See also Colwick Wikipedia
COLWICK (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton and of the county of Nottingham, 2½ miles (E.) from Nottingham; containing 109 inhabitants. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
This area was from 1837 part of the Basford registration district
Church records[edit | edit source]
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records.
Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Colwick
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Nottinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Web sites[edit | edit source]
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A. A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 668-672. [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50891