Corozal, Puerto Rico Genealogy
|Puerto Rico Wiki Topics|
|Puerto Rico Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Municipality of Corozal family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
History[edit | edit source]
Corozal was founded in 1795 and officially became a town in 1804.
Hurricane Maria on September 20, 2017, triggered numerous landslides in Corozal with a significant amount of rainfall, bridges, and homes were destroyed, and the people of Corozal had to resort to collecting spring water.
The 2010 U.S. Census listed the town of Corozal as 37,142. 
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
More recent records are protected by privacy laws. However, close relatives can request them for genealogy.
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- Puerto Rico, Civil Registration, 1805-2001, index, incomplete
- Puerto Rico, Civil Registrations, 1885-2001, index, incomplete
- Puerto Rico, Civil Registration, Corozal, browse images
- Puerto Rico Births and Baptisms, 1938-1947 — index
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Until the church records of this municipality are digitized and published online, write to the local Catholic Church for records prior to 1876. To find the address of the local parish, consult the Catholic Directory. For help with writing your letter or e-mail, use the Letter Writing Guide for Genealogy. If it seems that the priest would prefer to correspond in Spanish, use the Spanish Letter Writing Guide.
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Search the 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940 census records for information about your Puerto Rican ancestors who were there during that time period. Click here to go to the Puerto Rico Census Page
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Corozal, Puerto Rico," Wikipedia, The Free Encylopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corozal,_Puerto_Rico, accessed 12/22/20.