Difference between revisions of "Court of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk"
m (Text replacement - "?availability=Family%20History%20Library" to "")
(→Archive Location: fixed link)
|Line 31:||Line 31:|
The records for this court are housed in the [
The records for this court are housed in the [://www...uk//// Ipswich and East Suffolk Record Office].
Latest revision as of 15:43, 29 October 2020
Step by Step[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Ipswich or East Suffolk Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online Indexes[edit | edit source]
Printed and Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
The Family History Library has copies of the following indexes.
- Index of the probate records of the Court of the Archdeacon of Suffolk, 1444-1700
- Index of beneficiaries in wills proved in the court of the Archdeacon of Suffolk, 1847-1857
- Will card index, 1702-1857; probate inventories card index, and poor law card index
Records[edit | edit source]
Archive Location[edit | edit source]
The records for this court are housed in the Ipswich and East Suffolk Record Office.
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
The Family History Library has the following records on film. Films can be view in the library or in a family history center.
- Probate records, 1444-1857 Note: Some indexes are included in the library's catalog record.
- Original wills, 1459-1857 and miscellaneous wills not proved, 1554-1739
- Probate inventories, 1582-1824
- Administrations from act books in Ipswich Probate Office
- Wills from the archdeaconry of Suffolk, 1629-1640, abstracted by Marion E. Allen and Nesta R. Evans
- Wills of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk, 1620-1626, abstracted and edited by Marion E. Allen
Jurisdiction[edit | edit source]
- Camp, Anthony J. Wills and Their Whereabouts. London: published by author, 1974; page 128.