East Montpelier, Washington County, Vermont Genealogy
East Montpelier was chartered on January 1, 1849 by the Vermont State Legislature.
East Montpelier came to be when the village of Montpelier, named permanent capital of Vermont, was set aside as a separate town in 1848, retaining the original name. Considerable bitterness existed among the townsfolk who now lived in East Montpelier: Montpelier now had the center of State government, the best waterpower sites and most of the population. East Montpelier did get most of the land, but little else. As if that weren't bad enough, the town was now someplace else in the alphabet, along with other split-off towns which had directional words added (South Burlington, West Fairlee, West Windsor, West Rutland).  
Across the Onion : a history of East Montpelier, Vermont, 1781 to 1981, Ellen C Hill and Marilyn S Blackwell (1983) - find this book in a library.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for East Montpelier is Washington.
Washington District Probate Court
10 Elm St. #3
Montpelier, VT 05602
Phone: (802) 828-3405
Vermont. Probate Court (Washington District), East Montpelier - Court amended documents, 1903-1990, are available on microfilm at the Family History Library.
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day East Montpelier. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Washington County, website at this link.
- Cate Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Cutler Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Doty Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- East Villiage Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Quaker Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Tinkham Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Wheeler Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1856-1974, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
Vermont, Washington County, East Montpelier, death and burial records, 1998-2005, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the East Montpelier Town Clerk's Office. These include Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1856-1997.
East Montpelier Town Clerk
40 Kelton Rd.
PO Box 157
East Montpelier, VT 05651
Phone: (802) 223-3313
Libraries and Historical Societies
East Montpelier Historical Society
PO Box 63
East Montpelier, VT 05651
- About East Montpelier, VT - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/eastmontpelier.html#about
- Town of East Montpelier - http://usgenwebsites.org/VTGenWeb/Washington-Co-VT.htm#eastmontpelier