El Salvador Genealogy
Guide to El Salvador ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
|El Salvador Research Topics|
|El Salvador Background|
|Local Research Resources|
El Salvador is a country in Central America bordered by Guatemala and Honduras. It was formerly a colony of Spain. The official language is Spanish. El Salvador is the only Central American country that has no access to the Caribbean Sea. The Pan American Highway runs thru this country.
Getting Started with El Salvador Research
Links to articles on getting started with El Salvador research.
El Salvador Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in El Salvador research.
El Salvador MapEdit
Department names and abbreviations for the 14 Salvadoran Departments:
- AH - Ahuachapán
- CA - Cabañas
- CH - Chalatenango
- CU - Cuscatlán
- LI - La Libertad
- PA- La Paz
- UN - La Unión
- MO - Morazán
- SM - San Miguel
- SS - San Salvador
- SV - San Vicente
- SA - Santa Ana
- SO - Sonsonate
- US - Usulután
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in searching for your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Online Indexed Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Search page
- Introduction to Hispanic Research
- U.S. Hispanic Immigration
- U.S. Hispanic Immigrants: Finding their Place of Origin
- Improve your Search Results in FamilySearch Hispanic Records
- Reading Spanish Handwritten Records:
- Lesson 1: The Spanish Alphabet
- Lesson 2: Words and Dates
- Lesson 3: Reading Spanish Records
- Hispanic Online Resources
- Wikipedia contributors, "Spain," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain, accessed 24 March 2016.