Fall River, Bristol County, Massachusetts Genealogy
Town Clerk[edit | edit source]
Brief History[edit | edit source]
In 1653, Freetown, Massachusetts was settled at Assonet Bay by members of the Plymouth Colony, as part of Freeman's Purchase, which included the northern part of what is now Fall River. In 1683 Freetown was incorporated as a town within the colony. The southern part of what is now Fall River was incorporated as the town of Tiverton, as part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1694, a few years after the merger with the Plymouth Colony. In 1746, in the settlement of a long colonial boundary dispute between Rhode Island and Massachusetts, Tiverton was annexed to Rhode Island, along with Little Compton and what is now Bristol County, Rhode Island. The state boundary was placed approximately at what is now Columbia Street.
In 1703, Benjamin Church, a prominent veteran of King Philip's War, established a sawmill, a gristmill and a fulling mill on the Quequechan River. In 1714, Church sold his land, including the water rights, to Richard Borden of Tiverton and his brother Joseph.
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.John Perry, Director 765 Prospect Street, Fall River, MA 02722 T: 508-324-2750 | F: 508-324-2751 E: email@example.com
- [The Cemeteries Division is a branch of the Department of Community Maintenance. It is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of Fall River’s two public cemeteries, Oak Grove Cemetery and North Burial Ground. Both North Burial Ground and Oak Grove Cemeteries are registered with the National Registry of Historic Places. The Cemeteries Division is overseen by the Board of Park Commissioners.]
- [Oak Grove Cemetery is over 120 acres and is located in the historic Highlands neighborhood of Fall River. Oak Grove has been the final resting place of Fall River’s most notable citizens.]
- [North Burial Ground is over 30 acres and is located on North Main St. between Brightman and Cory Streets.]
- [Agudath Achim Jewish Cemetery. Newhall Street Contact: Adas Israel Synagogue. 508-674-9761. Go to: http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Cemetery/]
- [Beth El Cemetery. N. Main St. Fall River, Mass. 02722. Contact: Temple Beth El. (508) 674-3529.]
- [Hebrew Cemetery. McMahon St. Contact: Adas Israel Synagogue. 508-674-9761.]
- [North Burial Ground. 1360 N. Main St. Fall River, Mass. 02722. (508) 672-3041. Established 1810.]
- [Notre Dame Cemetery . 1540 Stafford Rd. Fall River, Mass. 02721. (508) 673-1561. Established 1883.]
- [Oak Grove Cemetery. 765 Prospect St. Fall River MA 02720. 508-324-2750. Established c. 1873
- [Our Lady of Light Cemetery. Fall River, Mass. 02722. (508) 672-1207. Contact: Notre Dame Cemetery.]
- [St. John's Cemetery. 258 Brightman St. Fall River, Mass. 02722. (508) 679-2535. Burials: 1858-1891.]
- [St. Mary's Cemetery. Amity St. Fall River, Mass. 02722. (508) 679-2535. Burials: 1875-1891.]
- [St. Patrick's Cemetery. 2233 Robeson St. Fall River, Mass. 02720. (508) 679-2535. Established 1876.]
Fall River Library[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Obituary Index of the Fall River Herald News provided by the Fall River Public Library:1946-2010
Part of Newport County Rhode Island 1747-1862.