FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Adding Records to U.S. County Pages
Current Projects page Adding Records to U.S. County Pages
Adding links to FamilySearch record collections to various state county pages. These instructions will cover multiple state projects.
1. Go to the Task Page and choose a state that you wish to work on. After choosing the state, you will then be directed to the record collections for that state.
2. Choose a record to insert onto the county pages. Sign your name onto that line so that no one else will start working on that record. Go to the state page you are working on and use the list of counties that can be found on the state page. You will use this list of counties and insert your record on each of these counties.
3. Open the first county page and go down to the heading for your record (Vital Records, Military, etc). Once there, you will look under the correct section for your record (birth, death, marriage, divorce, etc).
- Be sure your record does not already appear on the listing on the county page.
- If it does, go on to the next county.
- If it does not, you will want to add it to the page, so go on to Step 4.
4. Make sure a phrase such as, "Online Birth Indexes and Records" is listed above the list of online collections. If it is missing from the section, add it just above the list of online collections by using the following wikitext - replacing "Birth" with the applicable heading:
- ''Online Birth Indexes and Records''
5. Click on the box to edit the section you want to insert the record in. In order to add the record to the page you will have to go into wikitext. To do this go to the top left of your edit box and click on "wikitext."
Once you click on Wikitext, your screen will change to show the page layout in wikitext format.
You want to copy the entire text from the record you chose on the task list and paste it on the page. It is suggested to put the collection in chronological order among the other databases listed.
- NOTE: Copy the collection information exactly as it is listed on the state collection task page. We have converted it to wikitext for you.
6. Enter the words "added vital record" or "added military record" (whatever type of record you entered) in the edit summary box and then save your page. Once you have saved the page, go down to that section on the page and be sure your record shows up as you expect it to. This is an example of the Texas Death and Burials Record after it is placed on a page:
7. Once you have finished inserting the record into all of the counties, go back to the Task List and enter the completed date under your name on the list.