FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject FHC Maps
Current Projects page FHC Maps Project
Purpose[edit | edit source]
To create links to Google Maps pages on FHC pages to help people who wish to get directions to the facility.
Project Contact[edit | edit source]
Task Page[edit | edit source]
Instructions[edit | edit source]
1. Go to the Task List and choose a state to work on.
2. Go to this page and select the state you chose to get the listing of FHCs for your state.
3. Click on the first FHC page listed and look for the address section on that page. See if they already have a Location Map listed. If they do, click on it to be sure it is correct. If it is correct, go on to the next FHC listed in your state list. If not, remove the link and go to step #4.
4. Open another window in your browser and go to Google maps http://maps.google.com and enter the address of the FHC into the search box on the upper left side of the page.
'5. Once you enter the address, a new URL will appear in the URL field. Copy this URL.
6. Go back to your FHC page and in the address section, under the physical address add the words "Location Map" and then make them a hyperlink. You will hyperlink them to the link you just created on the Google maps page.
7. In the Edit Summary box enter "added location map" and then save your work.
8. Once you have saved the page, click on your location map link and be sure it does take the user to a google map of the location of the FHC you were working on. If it does, you are ready to move on to the next FHC. If it does not, you will need to go back and re-do the link.