FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject South Dakota Additional Military Info
Add additional heading and sentence to South Dakota Military section
1. Go to the Task List and sign out a section of counties to work on.
2. Review the information under Military Records on the county page.
3. Online heading. Copy the wikitext below and paste it directly above the first online collection on the page. There should be no instructive information between the Online Collection heading and the collections on the page.
==== Online Collections ====
These collections are unique to South Dakota. You will find nationwide databases for military records on [[United States Military Online Genealogy Records|U.S. Military Online Genealogy Records]] and [[South Dakota Military Records|South Dakota Military Records]].<br>
4. Civil War heading. Add the following collection to those already listed on the county page in chronological order under the Civil War heading. To see an example of where it should go, see the example below.
*'''1885''' [http://history.sd.gov/Archives/Data/civilwar/default.aspx Civil War Veteran's 1885 Census in South Dakota] - Index only, Union and Confederate included<br>
5. Fix WWI link. Replace the incorrect link under "World War I" that refers to North Dakota (1917 - 1918 Roster of the men and women who served in the army or naval service (including the Marine Corps) of the United States or its allies from the state of North Dakota in the World War, 1917-1918, Vols. 1-4 at Ancestry ($)) with the following bullet:
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/sd/military/ww1/alpha.txt South Dakota WWI Honor Roll by SDGenWeb] - Alphabetical index; List by [http://files.usgwarchives.net/sd/military/ww1/county.txt County]<br>
6. New heading. Add the following heading and collection to those already listed on the county page in chronological order.
''World War II''<br>
*[https://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww2/army-casualties/south-dakota.html WWII Army and Army Air Force Casualties for South Dakota] - Index only<br>
7. Bolded dates. Make sure all dates at the beginning of the links are bolded.
8. Remove bullet. Remove the bullet before the last statement that says, "For further information see South Dakota Military Records."
9. Preview the page to make sure the links and information look correct.
10. Add to the Summary field, "added military info" and save the page.
11. Once you are finished, go back to the Task List and add the date you completed your section of counties.
Example of completed page:
- 1861 -1865 Dakota Territory Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.
- 1885 Civil War Veteran's 1885 Census in South Dakota - Index only, Union and Confederate included
- 1890 United States Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, 1890 at FamilySearch.
World War I
World War II
For further information see North Dakota Military Records.