FamilySearch Wiki:Wiki Support/Administration
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wiki Community[edit | edit source]
Transparency in Development[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Wiki:Known Issues - be familiar with the issues listed on this page. Archive the items when needed. Support the issues by moving them through the process in JIRA and product engineering. Based upon the issue additional help content may be needed. When this happens, work with tier 2 to have existing Help articles updated or to get additional Help articles written.
- DevNet is the wiki development backlog that the community had access to for reporting bugs and requesting enhancements. They could use this site to communicate with the engineers and help troubleshoot bugs and add the documentation. This site has not been used by engineering for a long time, so when items are added by the community, they basically go into a black hole. The community was told that something better would come, but in the mean time use DevNet. The wiki still does not have something better to replace DevNet.
- FamilySearch Wiki:Suggestions for Engineering - this page was originally created by the product manager for purposes of communicating with the wiki community all the development we had on the backlog for the wiki project. Some of the backlog were tasks that could only be done by an engineer. Others were items that any community member could help with. All community members who attended the technical Community Meeting were encouraged to help with the development by signing up for one of these projects. The list was hard to maintain and keep current by product management. There is still a need to be transparent with the development of the wiki, particularly with development projects that can be done by community members.
- New Features - this page was originally maintained by our Admin on Penny's team. Right now the wiki does not have an Admin on Penny's team. Consequently, this page is not being updated.
Wikipedia and MediaWiki Documentation[edit | edit source]
Some Wikipedia and MediaWiki pages that have helped with self-training understanding wikicode include:
- Wiki text markup articles: Wikipedia: How to edit a page and specifically the Wiki Markup section of the article.
- Help Template
- Template Messages
- ToDo template and list
- Community portal
Template Management[edit | edit source]
- Management and development
- Build an easy way for users to know was templates are available for use in writing and editing content.
- The FamilySearch Wiki:Maintenance Templates page was a beginning step to make templates more visible to the community. The page only lists some of the maintenance templates. The templates were created with the old wiki when we had more horizontal room for content. Now the templates are too big on a page. Some redesign is needed. You could work with User:Cottrells because he has helped create a lot of our templates.
- Templates need to be easy to use. We receive many comments about not wanting to know the techie stuff, but still wanting to use the features and functions of a template.
- The community meeting held on November 23rd was about templates. Steve Cottrell presented some "training" on the usage of templates and where to find a list of all the templates that are currently available in the wiki. Please see the meeting agenda page for links to the pages he used in the training. If you did not attend the meeting, I'd suggest that you listen to the recording.
Extensions[edit | edit source]
- What are extensions?
- Where are they documented?
Special Pages[edit | edit source]
Magicwords[edit | edit source]
- See the Magicwords page in the wiki.
Policies and Guidelines[edit | edit source]
- Governance in the wiki was developed as 80% preventative and 20% repair and based upon the policies and guidelines. We see Tier 2 supporting all the preventative measures and Tier 3 supporting the repair measures. The "Delete" templates are an example of a repair measure for content.
- Delete requests
- Delete ASAP requests
- Delete Portal requests
- FamilySearch Wiki:Policies/Proposed enhancements