Georgia, Fulton County Records from the Atlanta History Center - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Georgia, Fulton County Records from the Atlanta History Center, 1827-1955
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Fulton, Georgia, |
|Flag of Georgia|
|Location of Fulton County, Georgia|
|Location of Georgia|
|Record Type||County Records|
|Atlanta History Center|
What is in This Collection?
This collection consists of records from Fulton County for the years 1827 to 1955. The collection includes:
- Census and Voter Registration for Atlanta, Georgia
- Cemetery records from Atlanta and vicinity
- Garrett's Necrology (This collection includes extracts from obituaries for Atlanta and vicinity.)
- Death extracts from Atlanta
- Census of Whites and Colored citizens
- Index of Campbell (Fulton) county vital statistics
- Westview Cemetery Sexton Records
- Voter registrations and miscellaneous court records from Campbell (Fulton) county
- An index to the 1890 Atlanta City census
- Atlanta city census, 1896 (First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Wards);
- Census of Whites and Colored citizens, 1885-1888;
- Campbell county, vital statistics index to births and deaths, 1927-1931.
- Also includes voter registrations and miscellaneous court records from Fulton (Campbell) county. Not all images have been indexed.
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Georgia, Fulton County Records from the Atlanta History Center, 1827-1955.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of primary person or persons
- Names of spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded
- Birth, marriage or death dates
- Birth, marriage or death places
The coverage table shows the types of records and time periods covered.
|Cemetery records||Cemetery records for Atlanta and vicinity, 1874-1932|
|West View Cemetery sexton's record, 1884-1933|
|Census records||Atlanta census First Ward, 1896|
|Atlanta census Second Ward, 1896|
|Atlanta census Third Ward, 1896|
|Atlanta census Fourth Ward, 1896|
|Atlanta census Fifth Ward, 1896|
|Atlanta census Sixth Ward, 1896|
|Atlanta census index, 1890|
|Census of white and colored citizens, 1885-1888|
|Correctional Institutions||Jail record, 1877-1929|
|County Court records||Court docket, 1866-1931|
|Sheriff's docket, 1877-1878|
|Court of Ordinary records||Docket, 1831-1929|
|Inferior Court records||Minutes, 1858-1872|
|Obituaries||Notes on old DeKalb and Fulton County families, 1874-1932|
|Obituary abstracts, 1857-1923|
|Probate records||Administrators' and guardians' bonds, 1839-1856|
|Court of Ordinary records|
|Docket of estates and wills, 1880-1883|
|Index to estate papers, 1917-1955|
|Transcripts of estate papers, 1864-1955|
|Public records||Inferior Court, Record of bonds 1831-1872|
|Vital records||Birth and death index 1827-1931|
|Death extracts (Atlanta), 1887-1931|
|Voting registers||Voters list 1926|
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The date of an event or the name of a parent or spouse
Search the IndexSearch by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Record
- Select the Record Type, Volume, and Year Range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Georgia, Fulton County Records from the Atlanta History Center, 1827-1933. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the age to calculate the birth date to find other records such as birth, christening, marriage, census, and death
- Search for the family in census records
- Use the occupations to find employment or military records
- Use the information to find additional family members
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Georgia.
Related Family History Library Holdings
- Franklin Miller Garrett. Cemetery record Atlanta and vicinity, 1874-1932.
- Franklin Miller Garrett. Extracts from vital statistics of the city of Atlanta, deaths, 1887-1931.
- Franklin Miller Garrett. Notes on old Dekalb and Fulton County families, 1874-1932
- Superior Court. Campbell County (present-day Fulton County), administrators' and guardians' bonds, 1839-1856
- Inferior Court. Campbell County (present-day Fulton County), Inferior Court records, 1858-1872
- County Sheriff. Campbell County (present-day Fulton County), jail record, 1877-1929
- Inferior Court. Campbell County (present-day Fulton County), record of bonds, 1831-1872
- County Court. Campbell County, County Court docket, 1866-1931
- Court of Ordinary. Campbell County, records of the Court of Ordinary, 1829-1931
- Campbell County, Sheriff's docket, 1877-1878
- Court of Ordinary. Campbell county, vital statistics index to births and deaths, 1927-1931
- De Kalb county, Atlanta, Oak Grove District, voters list, 1926
- Atlanta City. Clerk. Fulton County, Atlanta, census records, 1885-1896
- Fulton county, Atlanta, voters list, 1926
- Fulton County. Court of Ordinary, probate estate records, 1864-1955
- Fulton County, Franklin M. Garrett's necrology, 1857-1933
- Fulton county, West View Cemetery sexton's record, 1884-1933
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
Related Digital Books
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying you sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.