Open main menu
Germany Wiki Topics
Muehlhausen Thueringen .jpg
Beginning Research
Reading the Records
Record Types
Germany Background
Local Research Resources
The FamilySearch moderator for Germany is Baerbel

Beginning in the mid-19th Century, many German towns started keeping track of local residents and their address changes. Every change of address had to be reported to the Einwohnermeldeamt [residential registratration office] and was recorded in a ledger or a card file. These records were not required to be archived long term, so they may no longer exist. Where they have survived,these registrations can be very helpful in tracking a person's movements and learning family details. Historical poulation registers are usually kept in thee city archive. Some records are available online.

In the FamilySearch Catalog, these records may be categorized under:

  • population
  • civil registration
  • public records

The format and details contained in the record vary by locality and time period. They may contain the following:

  • Surname and given name(s) of the individual or head of household
  • occupation
  • place of birth
  • birth date
  • religion
  • moved in when, often also from where
  • street address
  • moved out when and to where
  • remarks
  • other details, including spouse (women with their maiden names) and children with birth dates and -places, names of parents for husband and wife, death dates for members of the household

Records for men and women may be kept separately.

Records available online
City of Berlin

The historical population registry cards of Berlin, Brandenburg, from 1874 to 1945 are kept in the Landesarchiv Berlin. FAmily cards were created for and filed under the head of household. Single, widowewd or divorced women living alone or as head of a household received their own cards. Non-related lndividuals may be listed on the card of the household of residence. They did not receive their own cards. On the website, click on the link "EMK_Antragsformular", available in English or German.