|Grenada Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Description[edit | edit source]
English is the country's official language but the main spoken language is either of two creole languages: Grenadian Creole English and, less frequently, Grenadian Creole French or 'patois' which reflects the African, European, and native heritage of the nation. The creoles contain elements from a variety of African languages, French and English. Grenadian Creole French is mainly spoken in smaller rural area.
Some Hindi/Bhojpuri terms are still spoken amongst the Indo-Grenadian community descendants. 
Grenadian Creole English - Grenadian Creole English is a Creole language spoken in Grenada. It is a member of the Southern branch of English-based Eastern Atlantic Creoles. It is the common vernacular and the native language of nearly all inhabitants of Grenada, or approximately 89,000 native speakers in 2001. 
Grenadian Creole French or 'patois' - Grenadian Creole is a variety of Antillean Creole. In Grenada and among Grenadians, it is referred to as Patois. 
Word List(s)[edit | edit source]
- Grenada Local Language Idiom Table at Reddit
Alphabet and Pronunciation[edit | edit source]
- Popular words and phrases in Grenada dialect at WorldCat
Language Aids and Dictionaries[edit | edit source]
- Abridged handbook of Grenadian Creole English and French names : a dictionary of Grenadian Creole English with grammar & syntax at WorldCat
- Creole-English/English-Creole (Caribbean) at WorldCat
- The verb in Grenadian French creole at WorldCat
Additional Resources[edit | edit source]
- Materials for Reading Creole English at WorldCat
- "Broken English" : the Creole language of Carriacou at WorldCat
- Mwen ka alé : the French-lexicon Creole of Grenada : history, language and culture at WorldCat
- Grenadian Creole English
- Stark's guide book and history of Trinidad : including Tobago, Granada, and St. Vincent at WorldCat
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Grenada," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenada#Languages, accessed 20 March 2021.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Grenadian Creole English," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenadian_Creole_English, accessed 20 March 2021.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Grenadian Creole French," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenadian_Creole_French, accessed 20 March 2021.