Hobart Australia Family History Centre
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Hobart Family History Centre is located about ten minutes drive north of the Hobart CBD, and serves all of southern Tasmania.
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
Location & Map:
- The centre is located within the church building (of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) at 15 Elmsleigh Road, Derwent Park. The entrance is at the north-western corner of the building and easily visible from the large car park. When you arrive, press the buzzer button on the wall to the left of the double doors. A staff member will come and open the door for you and show you to the centre reception area.
- (Link to map using Google or other map sites)
This family history centre is currently open Wednesday evenings 7.00-9.00pm, Thursdays 10.00am to 1.00pm, and Saturday mornings from 9.30 to 12.00.
The COVID-safe protocols are as follows:
- patrons must pre-book using the email address provided above, as a maximum of three patrons will be admitted at one time
- patrons need to be independent researchers, that is, not requiring a staff member to sit beside them
- patrons must not visit if they have flu-like symptoms
- patrons and staff must use hand sanitizer and record their names and addresses or telephone numbers on arrival
- staff will wipe down computer equipment, bench tops and door handles between uses.
Closed on all public holidays in 2021.
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events [edit | edit source]
Class Schedule[edit | edit source]
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- CD indexes to births, marriages and deaths for Tasmania, Victoria, South Australia and New South Wales.
- CD indexes to burials in Tasmania (TAMIOT) and rural Victoria.
- Indexes to birth, death and marriage notices in the Mercury, Advocate and Examiner newspapers to 1930.
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Hardware and Equipment: The centre has four computers with internet connection, printers, four manual microfilm readers, three microfiche readers, one electronic reader and a ScanPro 2000 microfilm scanner, enabling editing and saving of film and fiche images to USB flash drive.
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
Resources in the Local Area[edit | edit source]
Other resources in the area include
- the Hobart branch of the Tasmanian Family History Society at Bellerive;
- the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office (TAHO), 3rd floor, 91 Murray Street, Hobart.
Links[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
We hope to soon be able to offer a range of classes for beginning, intermediate and advanced researchers. We welcome enquiries from skilled teachers experienced in family history research who would like to join our volunteer staff.