Difference between revisions of "Iowa Marriages - FamilySearch Historical Records"
|Line 160:||Line 160:|
"Iowa Marriages, 1809-1992." Database. <i>FamilySearch</i>. http://FamilySearch.org: 14 June 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
Revision as of 11:34, 8 December 2017
|Access the Records|
Iowa Marriages, 1809-1992
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Iowa|
|Location of Iowa|
|Record Type||Marriage Index|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This index is an electronic index for the years 1809 to 1992. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information is found in these records:
- Name and spouse’s name
- Event Date
- Event Place
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table and Map[edit | edit source]
A coverage table for this collection is available in the wiki article Iowa Marriages, Coverage Table - FamilySearch Historical Records.
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Iowa marriages, click here.
Examples of indexed records:
|Jessie E. Smith||mentioned in the record of James G. King and Jessie E. Smith|
|Name||James G. King|
|Spouse's Name||Jessie E. Smith|
|Spouse's Birth Date||1880|
|Event Date||02 May 1899|
|Event Place||Le Mars, First Methodist Episcopal Church, Plymouth, Iowa|
|Paul Damien Smith||mentioned in the record of Paul Damien Smith and Norma Johnson|
|Name||Paul Damien Smith|
|Birth Date||18 Jun1925|
|Spouse's Name||Norma Johnson|
|Event Date||31 May 1950|
|Event Place||Laurens, Iowa|
|Father's Name||Albert Smith|
|Mother's Name||Mary McKenna|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The names of the bride and groom
- The date and place of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Copy the citation below, in case you need to find this record again later.
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find other church and vital records such as birth, baptism, and death records.
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records.
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in censuses. Witnesses were usually family members.
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family.
- Church Records were kept years before counties began keeping records. They are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900.
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives.
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county.
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name.
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well.
- Check the info box above for additional FamilySearch websites and related websites that may assist you in finding similar records.
Known Issues with This Collection[edit | edit source]
|Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Iowa Marriages, 1809-1992." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.