Ketton, Rutland Genealogy
Guide to Ketton, Rutland ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Stamford|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1605|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Ketton with Tixover Post-1850 - Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Rutland Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
KETTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stamford, hundred of East, county of Rutland, 4 miles SW by W from Stamford. There is a place of worship for Independents. 
The Victoria County History of Ketton (1935) is available. It includes a history of the manor, church, advowson, and charities.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Ketton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|Ketton Online Parish Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Rutland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 04 December 2013.
- A History of the County of Rutland, Volume 2 (1935). A History of the County of Rutland. Adapted. Date accessed: 04 December 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 18 April 2014.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Rutland, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 April 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.