Lasswade, Midlothian, Scotland Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 18:34, 22 October 2008 by JohnsonJC (talk | contribs) (Text replace - '<!-- Tidy found serious XHTML errors --><!-- Tidy found serious XHTML errors -->' to '')
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Parish  #691

History[edit | edit source]

Established Church—Old Parochial Registers[edit | edit source]

Years Covered FHL Film Number
Birth: 1617-1854 - baptisms 1067763 item 4
1687-1776, 1776-1820, 1689-1693 1067764
1820-1854

167765 items 1-2

Marriages: 1618-1684, 1689-1696 1067764
1820-1855 1067765 items 1-2
Deaths: 1634-1644, 1819-1820 - burials 1067764
1820-1854 1067765 items 1-2

Condition of Original Registers—[edit | edit source]

Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index on computer at the Family History Library and family history centers.  Some records may be indexed in the International Genealogical Index. 
Births: There are no entries November 1640–May 1645, June 1734–March 1739. The lower portion of the record, 1687–1745 and upper margin, 1722–1734, are partially and some entirely destroyed.
Marriages: There are no entries May 1621–October 1625, May 1666–May 1668, May 1687–October 1689, except one for 1697, July 1696–November 1746.
Deaths: Registers are burials until 1641. There are no entries December 1641–September 1690. Mortcloth Dues, 1690–1696. There are no entries May 1696–May 1819, after which burials are again recorded.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.


Established Church—Kirk Session Records
[edit | edit source]

There are none.



Nonconformist Church Records
[edit | edit source]


Lasswade Associate Secession Church
[edit | edit source]

History—
A praying society in the parish acceded to the Associate Presbytery in 1739 and the members joined in forming the first Secession Congregation of Dalkeith. About 1825, Seceders resident in the villages of Lasswade, Bonnyrig, Loanhead, and places adjoining made an attempt to form a congregation in their locality but it failed due to lack of funds. The attempt was made again in 1829 and was successful with the help of 63 members of the Dalkeith congregation, residing in the Lasswade district, who wished to be disjoined from that church. The Lasswade congregation was formed in December and a church was built the next year.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Various Minutes 1830–1876
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/402.


Loanhead Free Church
[edit | edit source]

History—
After the Disruption occasional services were arranged for Loanhead. In 1845, through the generosity of Mrs. Smith of Dunesk, a missionary was appointed and services were held in a schoolroom in the village. A church was begun in 1851. The charge was sanctioned by the Assembly in 1858. The new church was built and opened in 1862, a hall being added in 1900. The manse was bought in 1883. Coal mining and paper making were the main industries of the place and fluctuations in them altered the membership of the congregation.
Membership: 1859, 386; 1900, 306.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Extent of records is unknown.


Roslin Free Church
[edit | edit source]

History—
The minister of Roslin parish, three of his elders and two hundred members adhered to the Free Church in 1843. During the summer of that year they met for worship in the burying ground. Accommodation was secured for a time in a subscription school. A house in the village with a large garden was purchased and in the garden the first Free Church was built. A new church on another site was built and opened in 1881. The local industries of coal mining, powder making, and carpet weaving afforded regular occupation for the residents.
Membership: 1848, 250; 1900, 229.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records— FHL Microfilm Number
Births and Baptisms 1843–1855, 1869–1879 0889486 item5
Other:
Minutes 1843–1915
Cash Book 1843–1903
Collections 1849–1871
Miscellaneous Records 1843–1872
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/522.


Loanhead Reformed Presbyterian Church
[edit | edit source]

History—
There were Cameronions in the area of Pentland, Midlothian, as early as 1680, but there were no congregations. Several separate congregations were formed in Scotland in the late 1770s. A congregation in Pentland was supported in part by members from Loanhead but largely by members from Edinburgh. The Pentland church was officially sanctioned in 1787. In 1792, the congregation was moved to Loanhead. A congregation in Edinburgh was finally disjoined from Loanhead in 1818. The first minister of the separate congregation of Loanhead was ordained in 1820 and served for forty–six years. The membership of the congregation in 1847 stood at 150.
Source: The Reformed Presbyterian Church in Scotland: its congregations, ministers, and students, by W. J. Couper, pub. 1925. FHL book 941 K2c.

Records—
For pre–1818 records, see Martyr’s Church, Edinburgh.
Extent of later records is unknown.


Loanhead Branch, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
[edit | edit source]

Records—
FHL Film Number
Record of Members 1844–1848 0104154

Return to the Midlothian Parish List