Leith (North), Midlothian, Scotland Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 12:33, 6 June 2008 by Emptyuser (talk | contribs) (formating)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Leith (North), Midlothian (Edinburghshire), Scotland (#692-1)

History[edit | edit source]

Established Church—Old Parochial Registers[edit | edit source]

Years Covered FHL Film Number
Births: 1615–1694 - baptisms 1067765 item 3
1694–1726, 1728–1791, 1791–1819 1067766
1820–1830 – indexed 1067767
1831–1844 – indexed 1067767
1845–1854 - indexed 1067768
Marriages: 1605–1706 1067766
1783–1819 1067767
1820–1847 – indexed 1067768
1847–1854 – indexed 1067768
1821–1831 1067768
1832–1854 1067769
Deaths: 1754–1819 1067767
1820–1854 - burials, indexed 1067769

Condition of Original Registers—[edit | edit source]


Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index on computer at the Family History Library under “Databases on the Network.”
Births: There are no entries August 1657–May 1682 or May 1726–November 1728. There is an index, 1820–1854.
Marriages: There are no entries July 1650–November 1652, December 1656–October 1683, October 1697–October 1699, and April 1706–October 1783. There is an index, 1827–1854.
Deaths: This register is of deaths and burials. There are no entries May 1756–January 1799. There is an index, 1827–1854.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.



Established Church—Kirk Session Records
[edit | edit source]


Minutes 1605–1642, 1678–1686, 1697–1841
Patrons’ Minutes 1840–1841
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/621.


Nonconformist Church Records
[edit | edit source]


North Leith Free Church
[edit | edit source]

History—
The parish was vacant at the Disruption. Over 600 members and nearly all the elders adhered to the Free Church. Their first church opened in 1844, was at the corner of Coburg Street and North Junction Street. A new church was built on Ferry Road and opened for service in 1859.
Membership: 1848, 524; 1900, 1004.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Session Minutes 1843–1860
Deacons Court Minutes 1844–1879
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/339.

See also South Leith.

Return to the Midlothian Parish List.