|Manitoba Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Records[edit | edit source]
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Newspaper publication usually began soon after the initial settlement of a place. Since civil registration of vital records began quite late in many parts of Canada, newspapers can be an excellent alternate source of family information. They may have notices of births, marriages, and deaths; obituaries; and local news. To find information, you will need the place and approximate date of the event. If no newspaper was published in the community at the time, check the newspaper of a nearby town. Canada also had some denominational newspapers that listed births, marriages, and deaths of church members who lived in many parts of the country.
Accessing Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Newspaper Directories[edit | edit source]
- D. M. Loveridge.A historical directory of Manitoba newspapers, 1859-1978. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 1981.
- A. M. Pratt. The story of Manitoba’s weekly newspapers. Winnipeg: Manitoba Weekly Newspapers Association, ~1968.
- Digital Resources on Manitoba History-Newspapers
Libraries and Archives[edit | edit source]
A large collection of provincial newspapers of Manitoba is available at the Legislative Library of Manitoba, located in the same building as the Provincial Archives. The collection includes newspapers from the major cities of the province.
- Archives of Manitoba
130-200 Vaughan Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 1T5
Telephone Government Records: (204)945-3738
Telephone General Inquiries: (204)945-3971
For books and publications, researchers are referred to:
- Manitoba Legislative Library in the same building.
They have newspapers from Manitoba dating back to 1859 and make the microfilms available for interlibrary loan.
Digital Issues Online[edit | edit source]
The Manitoba Library Consortium and the Manitoba Historical Society have a collection of digitized newspapers dating from 1871. Manitobia. Searchable by topic or by newspaper title.
- NewspaperArchive has a collection of digitized Manitoba newspapers online.
- Ancestry.ca - Historical Newspaper Collection – Manitoba
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Published[edit | edit source]
- Kathleen Rooke Stokes. An Index of marriage and death notices from Manitoba newspapers. Winnipeg: Manitoba Genealogical Society, 1986-(ongoing). Published so far, 1859-1881, 1882-1884, 1885.
Unpublished[edit | edit source]
- The Legislative Library has an index to Winnipeg obituaries since 1975 (ongoing) and a series of scrapbooks of Winnipeg newspapers beginning in 1885 (indexed).
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- de Groot, Susanna, "Canada Historical Newspapers Bibliographies (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Canada_Historical_Newspapers_Bibliographies_%28National_Institute%29.
- Taylor, Ryan, "Obtaining Canada Newspaper Resources (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Obtaining_Canada_Newspaper_Resources_%28National_Institute%29.
- Taylor, Ryan, "Canada Newspaper Indexes and Abstracts (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Canada_Newspaper_Indexes_and_Abstracts_%28National_Institute%29.