Mid-Calder, Midlothian, Scotland Genealogy
History[edit | edit source]
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers[edit | edit source]
|Years Covered||FHL Film Number|
|Births:||1604-1774, 1707-1780 - baptisms||1067784 items 3-4|
|1779-1854 - baptisms||1067785 items 1-2|
|Marriages:||1604-1674, 1691-1816||1067784 items 3-4|
|1783-1855||1067785 items 1-2|
|Deaths:||1734-1819 - burials||1067784 items 3-4|
|1783-1797, 1812, 1823, 1831-1853||1067785 items 1-2|
Condition of Original Registers—[edit | edit source]
Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index on computer at the Family History Library and family history centers. Some records may be indexed in the International Genealogical Index.
Births: Births are intermixed with marriages until 1674. There are no entries July 1649–August 1651, February 1661–February 1663, and May 1647–October 1707. Mothers’ names are not recorded until 1707.
Marriages: There are no entries July 1649–November 1659, December 1660–February 1664, May 1674–October 1691, from which date there is a separate record, November 1719–May 1734, and November 1738–October 1783. There are transcribed entries of proclamations, July 1720–December 1760 and irregular marriages 1789–1819.
Deaths: There are transcribed entries of Mortcloth Dues, funeral expenses, etc., 1734–1819 and twelve entries of deaths and burials on one page are dated 1783–1837. There are only three of these entries dated after 1797; 1812, 1823, and 1837.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records[edit | edit source]
Cash Books 1692–1729, 1778–1884
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/43.
Nonconformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
Bridge End United Presbyterian Church[edit | edit source]
This congregation originated in 1761 with members of the congregations of Craigmailen, now the East congregation, Linlithgow, and Nicolson Street, Edinburgh, who were desirous of having a place of worship more conveniently situated for them, and who accordingly applied for and obtained supply of sermon form the General Associate Anti-burgher Presbytery of Edinburgh. First church built in 1765, second built in 1854. The minister of this congregation was one of the prime movers in the steps which led to the union in 1820 of the two branches of the Secession.
Source: Annals And Statistics Of The United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Session Minutes 1763–1926
Communion Rolls - dates unknown
A History of the Congregation Included.
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/233.
Dissenters[edit | edit source]
There were no dissenting places of worship within the parish. Therefore, they would have worshiped in neighboring parishes.
Return to the Midlothian Parish list