New Jersey, Mercer County, Veteran's Service Office, Grave Registration Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
New Jersey, Mercer County, Veteran's Service Office, Grave Registration Records, ca. 1770-ca.1979
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Mercer, New Jersey, |
|Flag of New Jersey|
|Location of New Jersey|
|Record Type||Veteran's Grave Registration|
|New Jersey State Library|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains the Veteran's Grave Registration Records from the Veteran's Service Office in Mercer County, New Jersey.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name, Serial No.
- Home Addrees
- Next of Kin
- Date of death
- City, County
- Division, Secron, Lot, Block, Grave No.
- War Record
- Branch of Service, Rank
- Enlisted, Discharged
- Information Given by
- Care Assigned to Post No.
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s death record, carefully evaluate each piece of information about them. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
- Add any new information to your records
- Search for birth and marriage records
- Search for the family in census records
- Search for the veteran military service records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
- Search the FamilySearch Catalog to see if other records for this place are available
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of New Jersey.
- US Military Basic Search Strategies
- Beginning Research in United States Military Records
- New Jersey Guided Research
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- New Jersey Civil War burial records, 1800s-1900s
- Essex County. Veterans' grave registration record, ca. 1776-1979.
- Essex County. Veterans interment record, ca. 1776-1940.
- Essex County. Unfiled veterans' grave registration records
- Gloucester County, Veterans' graves registration,: 1776-1945
- Mercer County. Veteran's grave registration records.
- Middlesex County. Veterans individual grave field report sheets.
- Monmouth County, Veterans grave registrations.
- Sussex County. Veterans grave registration cards
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- New Jersey, Essex County, Superintendent of Soldiers' Burials, 1776-1979
- United States General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934
- United States, Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917-1940
- United States World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
- United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
- United States National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, 1866-1938
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.