Norton, Essex County, Vermont Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Brief History[edit | edit source]

Norton was chartered on September 6, 1781 by the Vermont Legislature. It is located on the Canadian border, immediately south of Stanhope, Quebec, Canada. The population at the 2010 US Census was 169.

From 1970 until 1994, Norton was the location of the Earth Peoples Park, a "liberated" 592-acre piece of land that was open to anyone who wanted to live there, free of charge. In 1994 it was taken over by the state of Vermont and is now Black Turn Brook State Forest.  [1]  [2]

Historical Data
[edit | edit source]

Town Histories
[edit | edit source]

Three towns: Norton and Averill, Vermont, [and] Stanhope, Quebec : a history of the northeast kingdom - find this book in a library.

Vital Records[edit | edit source]

FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.

Military Records
[edit | edit source]

Probate Records
[edit | edit source]

The probate district for Norton is Essex.
Essex Probate Court
Main St.
Box 426
Island Pond, VT 05846
Phone: (802) 723-4770

Church Records
[edit | edit source]

City Directories
[edit | edit source]

1888 Norton Town Directory

Maps
[edit | edit source]

Cemeteries[edit | edit source]

The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Norton. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Essex County, website at this link.  

Town Records
[edit | edit source]

The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Norton Town Clerk's Office. These include Vital records of Norton, 1885-1999, and Land records, 1887-1905.

Norton Town Clerk
12 VT Route 114 E
Norton, VT 05907
Phone: (802) 822-9935
Email: townofnorton@myfairpoint.net

Newspapers[edit | edit source]

Libraries and Historical Societies[edit | edit source]

Northeast Kingdom Genealogy - Genealogy resources for towns in the counties of Essex, Orleans and Caledonia.

References
[edit | edit source]

Adjacent towns: