Peterborough County, Ontario Genealogy
|Ontario Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Peterborough County. centered on Peterborough (city), was founded from the historic Newcastle District in a new Colborne District in 1838. Curiously, census records don't use Colborne as a district label, instead lumping the townships created under Newcastle.
In 1854, the Colborne District became Peterborough and Victoria County, the later of which was separated into it's own county in 1863. In 1874 the provisional county of Haliburton was planned, derived from Peterborough, Victoria, and Nipissing District. Haliburton didn't become it's own county until 1973.
Belmont & Methuen
Burleigh & Astruther
Galway and Cavendish
- 1 Civil Registration
- 2 Census Records
- 3 Church Records
- 4 Cemetery Records
- 5 Populated Places Table
- 6 Websites
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1869 - 1911 Ontario Births, 1869-1911 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1858 - 1913 - Ontario, Canada Births, 1858-1913 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
- 1869 - 1912 - Ontario Births, 1869-1912 at MyHeritage.com--index. ($)
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1801-1858 - Ontario, District Marriage Registers, 1801-1858 at FamilySearch — index and images.
- 1801-1928, 1933-1934 - Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1801-1928, 1933-1934 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
- 1858-1869 - Ontario, County Marriage Registers, 1858-1869 at FamilySearch — index and images.
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1869-1937, and some 1939-1947 - Ontario Deaths, 1869-1937 and Overseas Deaths, 1939-1947 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1869-1938, 1943-1944, and some 1939-1947 - Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938, 1943-1944, and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
Writing for a More Recent Birth, Marriage, or Death Record[edit | edit source]
- ServiceOntario, Birth Records is the only government-authorized source for obtaining birth certificates. Go to the section entitled "Order a Birth Search". This is the most economical, searches the widest time period, and allows searches for people not immediately related. A letter of information is provided rather than a certificate.
- ServiceOntario, Marriage Records offers a marriage search option and a historical certificate option.
- ServiceOntario, Death Records offers a death search option and a historical certificate option. Also official death certificates are available to a wider range of relatives than birth and marriage certificates.
FamilySearch Library Microfilmed Records[edit | edit source]
Some of the church/civil records have been microfilmed by FamilySearch.These microfilms may be ordered for viewing at Family History Centers around the world. To find a microfilm:
- a. Click on records for Canada, Ontario, Peterborough County. You will see a list of available records for the county.
- b. You will also see above the list the link Places within Canada, Ontario, Peterborough County. This will take you to a list of towns in the counties, which are links to records for the specific town.
- c. Click on any topic. Click on the blue links to specific record titles.
- d. Some combination of these icons will appear at the far right of the microfilm listed for the record. . The magnifying glass indicates that the microfilm is indexed. Clicking on the magnifying glass will take you to the index. Clicking on the camera will take you to an online digital copy of the microfilm. Clicking on the microfilm reel will lead to information on how to rent the film. Family History Center staff will assist you in ordering the film.
Census Records[edit | edit source]
|Census||Districts and Sub-Districts||Links|
Ontario and Nova Scotia Census, 1800-1842
Canada Census, 1851
|Peterborough (District 30)
Census of Canada, 1861
Census of Canada, 1871
|Peterborough West (District 56)
Peterborough East (District 57)
Peterborough North (District 58)
Census of Canada, 1881
|Peterborough East (District 125)
Peterborough West (District 126)
Census of Canada, 1891
|Peterborough East (District 109)
Peterborough West (District 110)
Census of Canada, 1901
|Peterborough East (District 106)
Peterborough West (District 107)
Census of Canada, 1911
|Peterborough East (District 112)
Peterborough West (District 113)
Census of Canada, 1921
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Church records can include baptisms, marriages, burials, membership lists, financial business, and other records for a particular congregation. They may be available online or on microfilm, but frequently they are still with the local church or in centralized archives by religion. The Canadian census records asked for the religion of those listed, so you will be able to narrow down which archives to consult. For help with writing a letter requesting copies of records, see Letter Writing Guide for Genealogy.
- Link to Anglican church archives
- Link to Baptist church archives
- Link to Catholic church archives
- Link to Lutheran church archives
- Link to Moravian church archives
- Link to Presbyterian church archives
- Link to United Church of Canada (including Methodist) church archives
Online Church Records[edit | edit source]
These records are incomplete.
- Ontario Births and Baptisms, 1779-1899 collection includes indexed Ontario church records.
- Ontario Marriages, 1800-1910.
- Ontario, Roman Catholic Church Records, 1760-1923.
- Ontario, Canada, Catholic Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1802-1967
- Ontario, Canada, Roman Catholic Marriages, 1827-1870, ($).
- Various individual church records at FindMyPast, ($).
Cemetery Records[edit | edit source]
See, Ontario Cemeteries for information on cemetery record collections not yet digitized, but available in published sources and on microfilm.
Online Cemetery Records[edit | edit source]
- Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid website has a free, searchable database of over 2 million burials in Ontario. It can be searched by name, cemetery, county and town, but its references do not include dates of death. Although it does not include any gravestone inscriptions, it can be used to locate graves in Ontario.
- Ontario Cemetery Ancestory Index
- Ontario Name Index (TONI)
- The Canadian Gravemarker Gallery
- The Ontario section of Canada GenWeb Cemetery Project
- Ontario, Canada Headstones.com
- Ontario, Toronto Trust Cemeteries (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Canada, Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Populated Places Table[edit | edit source]
|FORMER NAME, if applicable||TYPE||
|ANY NEW LOCATIONS IN FHL CATALOG???||Link|
Websites[edit | edit source]
The Forebears website will give you an extensive list of websites that could have information for people who lived in this county. Some sites cover just the county, some cover all of Ontario, and some cover all of Canada. Some sites are databases of names and facts about people; other sites cover background information such as maps, history, geography, or genealogy strategies and methods for the region.