Saint Andrew Parish, Grenada

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 06:41, 13 April 2020 by Terriethomas (talk | contribs) (Added missing online genealogy records button, corrected ask the community button, and also changed location of sidebar template to fix breadcrumb for mobile view per Danielle.)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Guide to Saint Andrew Parish family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.

Grenada Wiki Topics
Flag of Grenada.svg.png
Beginning Research
Record Types
Grenada Background
Local Research Resources
Parish of Saint Andrew
Ask the
Community


Information[edit | edit source]

Saint Andrew's is the largest parish in Grenada. It covers most of the west-central apect of the island and occupies an total area of 35 sq mi (91 km2) with a current population totalling 24,749. The main town is Grenville, which is also Grenada's second largest town after the capital of St George's. Grenville is also often referred to by its former 17th century French name of La Baye. Today this parish is particularly known for its 200 acres of cocoa farms and the production of organic cocoa by local farmers.

History[edit | edit source]

In 1650's the French originally named the parish Grand Marquis and it was part of the French Territories. Marquis was considered the first Parish Capital from 1795 to 1796 with its main town of Grenville.  The parish was renamed to Saint Andrew's in 1796, some years after the British gained ownership of the island of Grenada and the French name of the town Grenville has been retained to this day.