User:Iluvhistory66/Sandbox/FamilySearch Municipalities Histories PR
Instructions[edit | edit source]
Step One: Open Page in Wikitext[edit | edit source]
- From the Task List, select a municipality.
- Click on the first available province. This will take you to the province's page.
- Click Edit Source
Step Two: Locate Corresponding Page in Wikipedia[edit | edit source]
- In a separate window, open Wikipedia.org
- Search for the location.
Step Three: Extract Historical Information[edit | edit source]
- From the introduction and the history section (and other sections if need be) of Wikipedia, find the following type of information:
- The date the original area was founded.
- The date the location was created.
- What jurisdiction it belonged to at different periods of time.
- Historically significant events (fires, earthquakes, battles) that may have damaged genealogical records.
- Rephrase the historical information whenever possible so we are not directly copying Wikipedia.
- The histories should be written in paragraph form, with each piece of information you find in a sentence right after each other.
- The last sentence should give the population of the province. The basic format is already provided.
- Fill in the name of the location
- Fill in the population number, (usually stated in the sidebar), rounded to the hundred.
Step Four: Format Citation[edit | edit source]
There is already a template for a citation after the last bullet point.
- Copy the name of the wikipedia article into "PAGE NAME"
- Copy the wikipedia article's url into "URL"
- Write the current date in place of "DATE"
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
More recent records are protected by privacy laws. However, close relatives can request them for genealogy.
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- Puerto Rico, Civil Registration, 1805-2001, index, incomplete
- Puerto Rico, Civil Registrations, 1885-2001, index, incomplete
- Puerto Rico, Civil Registration, Yauco, browse images
- Puerto Rico Births and Baptisms, 1938-1947 — index
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Be sure to search the 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940 census records for information about your Puerto Rican ancestors you were there during that time period. For links to census records, see census links.