User:Wonghk3/Sandbox/WikiText Case Study Instructions
PURPOSE of WikiText Case Study[edit | edit source]
To practice using the wikitext codes we learned in class (act upon using Wiki University Tutorials).
To be able to read and understand wikitext coding and the results of that coding (requisite for patrolling and on projects).
FORMAT of WikiText Case Study[edit | edit source]
PLEASE NOTE: This is an "open-book" exercise and we encourage you to refer back to the Wiki University for "how to" instructions.
BASIC page creation and formatting: create page, add headers, copy-past-formating paragraphs, adding images, links, references, a catagory, breadcrumb, and SEO.
INTERMEDIATE additions: embed a template, create a table with links, embed an infobox with its parameters and values.
FUN CHALLENGE: build an image map.
INSTRUCTIONS for WikiText Case Study[edit | edit source]
BASIC page creation and formatting[edit | edit source]
1. Create a new sandbox for yourself (under your username) and call it: Planet Mars.
2. Add four Header Two named: Introduction, Location, Natural Satellites, and References.
3. Under the Introduction header:
- Copy and paste the following paragraph.
Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun and the second-smallest planet in the Solar System after Mercury. In English, Mars carries a name of the Roman god of war and is often referred to as the 'Red Planet'. The latter refers to the effect of the iron oxide prevalent on Mars' surface, which gives it a reddish appearance distinctive among the astronomical bodies visible to the naked eye. Mars is a terrestrial planet with a thin atmosphere, having surface features reminiscent both of the impact craters of the Moon and the valleys, deserts, and polar ice caps of Earth.
- Change the paragraph width to 85%.
- Boldface all instances of the word "Mars".
- Change the font color for the phrase "Red Planet" using the tag <font color=OrangeRed></font>.
4. Under the Location header:
- Embed the image named File:Planets2013.png, then...
- > position it on the right side of the page,
- > limit the file size to 250px,
- > add a border with a centered caption named "Planet Location from the Sun".
- Copy and paste the following sentence below the line for the embedded image:
The following are the most historically relevant planets in the Solar System:
- Cite the following reference for the word 'Solar':
Wikipedia contributors, "Solar System," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_System, accessed 20 February 2020.
5. Under the Natural Satellites header:
- Copy and paste the following sentence below the header
Mars has two relatively small (compared to Earth's) natural moons, Phobos (about 22 km (14 mi) in diameter) and Deimos (about 12 km (7.5 mi) in diameter), which orbit close to the planet.
- Add the following reference to the end of that sentence
Wikipedia contributors, "Moons of Mars", in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moons_of_Mars, accessed 20 February 2020.
6. Make sure that all references show up under the References header and are in the correct Manual of Style format.
7. Add the page to the "sandbox" Category.
8. Add a Breadcrumb trail pointing to the following internal links:
- User:Wonghk3/Sandbox/WikiTest/Milky Way Galaxy
- User:Wonghk3/Sandbox/WikiTest/Solar System
9. Add an SEO to your page.
INTERMEDIATE additions[edit | edit source]
1. At the top of the page (before the breadcrumb trail), add the template named: Wonghk3/sandbox/WikiTest.
2. Under the Location header (below the paragraph), create a single row table with three cells (columns).
- First column will contain the cell title Inner Solar System and list the following planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars.
- Second column will contain the cell title Outer Solar System and list the following planets: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.
- Third column will contain the cell title Trans-Neptunian objects and list the planet: Pluto.
3. In the single row table, add:
- make cell titles bold face.
- an attribute to space the columns apart for easier reading.
- an attribute to keep the material in each cell at the top of the cell.
- an internal link for the planet "Earth" pointing to the Wiki Home or Main Page.
- an external link for the planet "Mars" pointing to the Wikipedia page for Mars.
4. Place the infobox named Wonghk3/sandbox/WikiTest2 Infobox at the top of your page (before the embedded template, step #1 above) and add the following parameters and data values:
|image||File:OSIRIS Mars true color.jpg|
|system||Sol or Solar|
5. Compare the results of your work with Henny's Planet Mars page.
FUN CHALLENGE[edit | edit source]
Prepare an image map for the sun and all of the planets using File:Planets2013.png. Link them to their related Wikipedia page.