West Virginia County Marriage Records - FamilySearch Historical Records/Known Issues
| This page details problems identified in this collection and may provide answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
NOTE: To determine which digital records are likely to be found within a collection or to find missing images, see, Using Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records (56000) .
Question #1: The record detail page is linked to the wrong image. How can I find the correct image?
Answer #1: In order to view an image, the record detail page contains a link to the partner site, West Virginia Division of Culture and History. The partner site is the custodian of the records and provides the links to the images. If you are unable to view or verify the image by clicking on the Visit Partner Site link, go directly to the partner site at http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_select.aspx to search for records.
Question #2: Some indexed records have name, event place or date errors. How can I determine the correct information?
Answer #2: View the document to verify the correct information. At the top of the image, in the white area, is a link to view the data associated with the image. The event place and date can also be verified by searching the Catalog for the film number included in the record detail page. A list of known problems below provides correct indexing information:
- Film 571283: Marriage records, v. 2-7 1892-1937; Logan County (West Virginia). County Clerk. The 1833 marriages should be 1933.
- Film 597577: Births, v. 6-7 1930-1944; Wyoming County (West Virginia). County Clerk. The birth records were erroneously indexed as evidence of marriage of the father and mother of the child.
- Film 839540: Marriages 1843-1900 Marriages, v. 4-5 1909-1915; Ritchie County (West Virginia). County Clerk. The 1871 marriages should be 1891.
- Some of the groom and bride birth years have be entered as the legal age of 21 for males and 18 for females rather than the actual age.
If additional problems are encountered with the collection, you can report them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If searching the collection: please include the name of the collection, and all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- For technical issues: please include operating system and browser version.
Return to the West Virginia, County Marriage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the West Virginia Marriages, 1780-1970 collection at FamilySearch.org.