Westray, Orkney, Scotland Genealogy
Westray #33 (including Papa-Westray)
[edit | edit source]
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers[edit | edit source]
||FHL Film Numbers|
||Westray - 1733-1854
|Papa-Westray - 1784-1854
||Westray - 1805-1854
|Papa-Westray - 1805-1854
Condition of Original Registers—
[edit | edit source]
Indexed: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index available on computer at the Family History Library and family history centers. The records may be indexed in the International Genealogical Index.
Births: There are separate birth records, from 1808–1828 inclusive, for the east and north parishes of Westray. The two parishes were again united in 1829. There are irregular records of the births of children in Westray 1807–1844. Also a certified copy embracing the baptismal registers for the various divisions of the united parish in which the entries, often irregular in the original, appear to be inserted in chronological order.
Marriages: There is a certified copy of marriages for 1805–1819.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records[edit | edit source]
Note: Available on Film at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/1107.
Nonconformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
Westray Secession Church[edit | edit source]
Westray is an island at the northwestern extremity of the Orkney group containing a population of about 2000 souls. The congregation of Westray originated in the home missionary operations of the Secession Church. Supply of sermon was first afforded to the island in 1821 and the church was built in 1823.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details may be given in the source.
The extent of records is unknown.
Papa-Westray Free Church[edit | edit source]
The Free Church adherents at Papa-Westray and Westray, among whom were the local proprietor and his family, were formed into a congregation after the Disruption under charge of a probationer. The charge was sanctioned in September 1843. A church, large enough for the whole population of the island, had been built by the proprietor's family in 1841. It was shut up, however, until the Disruption and made over to the Free Church at the first Assembly. The proprietor also helped in the building of the manse. At the first vacancy it was questioned whether the charge should be continued. The assembly of 1856 sanctioned its continuance. It was stated that of more than 300 people in the island, almost all attended the Free Church. Westray became a separate station in 1877.
Membership: 1848, 112; 1900, 115.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details may be given in the source.
Note: Available on Film at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/1103.
Westray Baptist Church[edit | edit source]
This church was the fruit of spiritual revival brought about by the labors of Mr. James Haldane. He visited Orkney in 1797 and a catechist so impressed him that he engaged him immediately afterwards for extended work. This was William Tulloch of North Ronaldshay. He evangelized through the numerous Islands. Westray was responsive and a company came together for edification. Subsequently it was proposed that they should form themselves into and Independent Church. There was some opposition but a church was formed about the year 1806 and it called Mr. Tulloch to the pastorate, and they built a sanctuary for themselves. The church had been founded according to congregational principles but soon the mode of baptism was in question and discussed. Eventually all but three members of the congregation became Baptists. Chapels were built in 1839 and 1850 and a hall in 1906. This congregation was instrumental in the formation of other congregations in Eday, Sanday, and Burray.
Source: History of the Baptists in Scotland, by Rev. George Yuille, pub. 1926 FHL British Book 941 K2hi. This book contains a list of ministers.
The extent of records is unknown. For more information write to:
The Baptist Union of Scotland
Baptist Church House
14 Aytoun Road
Glasgow, G41 5RT
Return to Orkney parish list.